Pages

2.12.2013

Is Beige Really Your Favorite Color?

It's no secret that our personalities are directly reflected in our style.  The colors we wear, how we like our jeans to fit, or whether or not we like bangs are all examples of personal style.   

Clothing designers do the hard work for us by making garments and selling them in stores.  It's up to us to piece our looks together together for day-to-day wear.  Easier said than done for some of us, but we know when we don't like something.  Interior design is really no different.  Most people ask me for help decorating because they say they don't know what they like.  For example, someone I know is deathly afraid of color, so she buys everything in beige.  If that's the look someone is going for, there are ways to make it amazing.  Unfortunately all she's doing is being safe, resulting in a drab space with almost no personal reflection, and an unhappy, stressed out lady.

In this sort of pickle, the best thing to do is figure out what you love.  Looking at your wardrobe is a great place to start.  Chances are, if you don't own a single red garment, you're not going to love it splashed on your walls.  And if you have tons of gold jewelry, brass lamps just might be your thing.  Social media makes it super easy for us to hunt for inspiration these days; exhaust those sources as much as you can!  My style certainly changes constantly.  No, I don't still want to paint my bedroom pink and blue stripes like I did in high school.  I can't believe I even wanted to do that as a teenager!  But I did.  And I love myself for it.  

So if you haven't already, start a board on Pinterest or Houzz.  Or cut stuff out of magazines and put a book together.  If you have a specific room in you're house you've been meaning to do get around to redecorating, hang a cork board in there and start collecting things you love until you're ready to take the plunge! 

Go on.  Get those creative wheels spinning.  You may be willing to take more risks than you thought.           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you!